Thursday, November 5, 2009

On a serious note.......

there has been a ton of "debate" about the health care overhaul being proposed by the president and members of the congress and senate. By debate I mean one side coming out with a plan and the other side saying that its just a plot by a Kenyan to kill grandma and we all know that you cant kill grandma.......because she aint about to let that shit happen



but i digress we need a huge overhaul in our healthcare system. currently there are over 40 million people in this country who have no form of medical coverage. No insurance,no medicare,no medicaid. In the richest country in the world we cant allow that to happen to people. Politicians go on and on about family values,being good God fearing Christians but I ask this question......would Jesus allow his fellow man to risk death just because that fellow man doesnt make enough money or know the right people?
I dont think he would


Of course if you've ever read the bible you know he wouldnt allow that and we shouldnt either. I honestly believe the members of congress against the public option should have to go through 1 whole year of not having any health coverage and no ways of getting access to it. Just so they can see how bad alot of us really have it. I know that would change alot minds if they had to do it.


these guys wouldnt be able to survive that

As for the reasons behind why I'm really for the overhaul and a robust public option. let me write it in list form since thats what i'm good at

1. it saves jobs - the biggest costs to companies outside of salaries is healthcare costs and every year the cost of insurance rises at 4 times the rate of inflation

2. it might create jobs - Imagine if GM didnt have to pay off the wall health care costs? they might actually be able to spend more money on building better cars

3. Preventative care improves lives - if you can catch cancer early the risk of it killing you gets way lower and thats kinda the theory behind why the president is pushing so hard on preventative care in the health care bill and currently in this country we arent doing too much preventative care

4. People are dying every year from lack of insurance. people without insurance wait until the last possible moment to get medical attention and alot of times its way too late

5.My personal experiences with the medical system

A few months ago I was attacked coming home from work because some dumbass teenager thought it would be a good idea to sneak up on me and hit me with a brick in the back of the head. luckily i heard him sneaking but before i could turn completely around to see what the hell was going on I was hit in the right side of my face with a brick. Miraculously I wasnt knocked unconcious by that even though it did knock me into a fence and the ground breaking my mp3,giving me a slight concussion,breaking my orbital bone and actually knocking my eye slightly back into my skull. below is a picture of me before and after the attack(I look like the before pic now)
before/currently


a week after being hit in the face


now being hit in the face with a brick is frustrating as hell and its attempted murder but what pissed me off more was the experience after i went to the hospital. the first thing i was asked in the ER was how was i gonna pay for it. not "what happened?" or "do you know who did this to you?". After several trips back and forth between the ER and the Kresge eye institute I learned that I would need an extremely costly surgery to put my eye back in the right spot(when they measured it,it was about 6mm back from where the other eye was). They could've done the surgery the next day but because of my lack of insurance and not being eligible for medicaid they couldnt do it. so now its a few months later,the swelling has gone down,my vision has improved and my eyes look great...as long as you dont reall stare closely at them. oh and it still bothers me from time to time and i dont have as much peripheral vision as before. So sure its great that i didnt get any brain damage or die but i basically spent a ton of time in the ER for them to send me to the eye doctors who did a great job getting my eye back to a decent level but couldnt do a much needed surgery due to a lack of insurance by me and it only cost me a little over $11,000 and stories like that are happening everyday and with way worse results than just shoddy vision and headaches. If you really think that this is a good system to keep you're either an insurance executive,stupid or have no soul...........which one are you?

1 comments:

I'm one who is with you! We DO need change and we need it yesterday! All this debate about the essential public option is silly too. It's already working. No, really it is. Look - http://cli.gs/23yYaM/